Post-doc Fellow position in membrane protein structural biology at Pfizer Inc.  Job id #: 1051468.  To apply, click on link below.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/290461069?trk=jobs-home-jobsfe-redirect).

For people without Linkedin account, please apply using link below with Job id #1051468
https://globaljobs.pfizer.com/pages/job-details.aspx

Shenping Liu, PhD
Associate Research Fellow
Pfizer Groton Labs, CT, USA

Postdoctoral Fellow position at Pfizer focused on membrane protein structure-function studies

We are seeking a highly qualified and energetic PhD scientist to join us as a postdoctoral researcher focused on elucidating the three dimensional structures of membrane proteins that serve as important drug transporters.  The incumbent will be trained in the state-of-the-art science of membrane protein structural biology, be exposed to the drug discovery and development process, and will learn the application of structure information in drug design.    At our disposal, we have extensive in-house experience and resources supporting protein expression, purification, crystallization, structure determination of both soluble and membrane-bound proteins.  Presently, Pfizer scientists have regular access to all the major X-ray synchrotron beam lines in the world, in house Cryo-EM facilities, and rich collection of small molecular ligands to enable protein stabilization and crystallization.  Ideal candidates should have experience in protein expression, protein purification and crystallography, and preferably less than 4 years postdoctoral experience.

Pfizer Inc
Founded in 1849, Pfizer is the world's premier biopharmaceutical company. We discover, develop, manufacture and deliver quality, safe and effective prescription medicines to treat and help prevent disease for both people and animals. We also partner with healthcare providers, governments and local communities around the world to expand access to our medicines and to provide better quality health care and health system support.

Job Focus
The postdoctoral fellow will join the Structural and Molecular Sciences group based in Groton CT, a multidisciplinary group that is well-established and recognized for its leadership in structural biology of both soluble and membrane proteins.

In this exciting and cross-disciplinary project, we aim to elucidate three dimensional structures of membrane proteins involved in drug transportation. Specifically, this research determines three dimensional structures of drug transporters and addresses the need of understanding structure-function relationship.

The incumbent is expected to work closely with fellow scientists across many other disciplines, deliver the results internally and externally via meeting presentations and publications.

Responsibilities
Optimize membrane protein constructs for functional expression and protein stability.
Purification of functional membrane proteins for structural determinations.
Protein crystallization and data collection. Sample preparation for Cryo-EM and data collection.  Data analysis and structure determination.  Structure analysis to understand structure-function relationship.
Interface with scientists across lines/discipline and show strong initiative in developing ideas to assist in the design of exploratory experiments.
Collect up-to-date information and keep abreast of the relevant literature, data acquisition and analysis, manuscript preparation, presentation of study results in oral and poster formats.

Qualifications
Ph.D. in structural biology with extensive knowledge in molecular biology, protein chemistry and wet lab protein structural biology skills.
Previous experience with protein construct design, expression and purification is required.
Previous experience with membrane protein is a plus.
Previous experience in structure determination is a plus.
Demonstrated track record of publishing in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Excellent communication skills and ability to work independently are essential.