Hi Savvas,

Thank you for kindly pointing to our review. Bernhard, in my experience your
case is a rare exception rather than the rule, so indeed lucky. Adrian
summarised very nicely the wide impact glycans may have on folding,
trafficking and/or function. To keep things simple, there is no need to mutate
the N-glycosilation sites for structural work (other than perhaps to probe
their impact, but people don't seem to do this normally). PMID: 17355862
describes how to deal with these if the aim is to improve crystal quality. For
cryo-EM, glycans should definitely stay on. Why would one risk solving
meaningless structures?

Best wishes,

Radu

--