From: Christian Hogsbjerg <cjhogsbjerg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Darcus Howe: Rebel with a cause
To: BRITISHBLACKSTUDIES@jiscmail.ac.uk

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (cjhogsbjerg@HOTMAIL.COM) Add cleanup rule | More info

Dear all,

Though I am sure there are others more qualified than me to defend the label of 'Renegade' with respect to Darcus Howe,  it seems to me to have been quite appropriate and fitting for several reasons.

1.  In his youth in colonial Trinidad, Darcus was a 'Renegade' in the sense that was the name of the steelband he played in (the Renegades).  In a context of colonial domination, to have a steelband called 'Renegades' to me symbolises resistance to authority and oppression - and rebellion to the dominant order.

2.  He himself identified as a 'Renegade' - as detailed in the order of service for the funeral and no doubt related to the reason given above - so this was not a label others ascribed to him - but he himself embraced.  This is, I think, important.

3.  As someone who works on his great-uncle CLR James, the label 'Renegade' also cannot help but remind me at least of James's great work of literary criticism - Mariners, Renegades and Castaways - about Herman Melville's Moby Dick (the phrase is from Melville championing the multiracial working class crew of the Pequod) - in that Jamesian sense, a renegade is also a symbol of resistance to authority and power - something there is no doubt at all Darcus himself would have understood and appreciated.

There may well be other reasons alongside these that others closer to Darcus than me can elucidate if necessary - but I think these should hopefully be sufficient to settle this argument - and we should move on instead to remembering and celebrating Darcus's life and work - as the lovely and moving funeral service yesterday did so fittingly.

Christian