Freed voices from detention! 27th April 6 to 8pm

Please see details of the upcoming event possibly of interest to people on the list. Free participation. Registration appreciated.

Subject: Fwd: Freed voices from detention! 27th April 6 to 8pm

Begin forwarded message:

From: Birmingham People of Colour Collective <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 19 April 2017 at 21:10:37 BST
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Freed voices from detention! 27th April 6 to 8pm

Brum People of Colour Collective

Take action on an issue we can no longer ignore: The systematic incarceration of people of colour under immigration detention.

On Thursday 27th April between 6:00pm and 8:00pm at Birmingham City University, Curzon building Room 101, we are holding an evening of vital discussion on the nature of state-sponsored racist, xenophobic immigration detention centres in the UK. We cannot turn a blind eye to this when, only in 2015 more than 32,200 people were indefinitely detained, nor can we ignore the horrific abuses taking place within these illegal prisons.

Click here for the Facebook event, or register on eventbrite

You'll hear the voices of those who have been detained, so we can all get an understanding of what an immigration detention centre is, how it operates within the context of the UK, why the majority of people held in these prisons are people of colour, the experiences of people held under these conditions, and what we can do to put an end to this cruel and illegal practice. This session will be facilitated by ex-detainees from the Freed Voices Project.

Would like to join this collective? Speak to us at the event or apply for this training below.

Image removed by sender.

Copyright © Birmingham People of Colour Collective - All rights reserved.
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Image removed by sender.