Research + Instruction Librarian (Sciences)  Full-Time

Position Description
The Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) invites applications for the
full-time position of Research + Instruction Librarian with a focus on the
sciences, to start in August 2017.

We recognize diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to our learning
community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome
candidates whose experiences, scholarship, service, and/or professional
practice has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and
excellence.

In this newly conceived entry-level position, the Librarian will engage in
research, reference, collection development, and instruction, with an
emphasis in the sciences (broadly defined but with a particular emphasis on
the natural sciences, biological sciences, and physical sciences). The
Librarian will work collaboratively to shape and implement multiple
literacy practices within the library and on campus. In this capacity, the
Librarian will have an affinity for, experience in, and/or an articulated
understanding of broad interrelated and creative thinking about art,
design, and science information and practice.
The Librarian will be based in Fleet Library and will work in collaboration
with library staff as well as other colleagues in the other units within
the Dean of Libraries’ interdisciplinary community – The Nature Lab, Campus
Exhibitions, and the Writing Center.

We see the Library as a laboratory and platform for creativity and ideas.
We seek to create an environment that understands and respects the past
while inventing the future. Our approach to research, instruction, and
collection development emphasizes strong disciplinary focus with an
interdisciplinary and intersectional lens.

As a member of the Research and Instruction team, the Science Librarian
engages in research and professional development, library instruction,
research assistance, and collection development related to the sciences –
with an emphasis on the intersection of science and art practices, broadly
defined. In addition, the candidate will engage in outreach to the RISD
community – encouraging and creating connections across campus – as well as
chair a library committee based on skills and interests. This is a newly
imagined position and it reports to the Dean of Libraries.
Required Qualifications

The ideal candidate is an individual interested in defining, experimenting
with, and building information systems, collections, and instruction
related to and inspired by the sciences as well as art and design. We are
seeking a colleague who has demonstrated (in scholarship, community
engagement, education, or practice) creativity and curiosity within the
field of librarianship.

-ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS or an equivalent combination of education and
experience.
-Degree (or relevant experience) in a scientific discipline – with
particular emphasis in biology, mathematics, design science, or the
physical sciences.
-One to three years professional experience providing research, reference,
instruction, or public service in a library, laboratory, or research
setting.
-Strong interpersonal and communication skills are critical, as is an
ability to think critically and articulate ideas clearly. We are seeking an
ideas person who enjoys working on a team and is generous and open to
thinking that challenges their own.
-Ability to work collegially and generously within a small team that is
flexible and extremely responsive to users.
Preferred Qualifications

-Knowledge of contemporary art, architecture, and design, and an awareness
of cross-disciplinary issues in an art school setting.
-Knowledge of print and electronic resources – particularly open access,
open data, and open source resources. We are an art school and this
position will support scientific research in that context.
-Ability to use a full range of text and electronic resources in the arts,
sciences, and related areas.
-Background in library technologies and emerging technologies – with a
curiosity (and healthy skepticism) about current trends.
-Reading knowledge of a language other than English.
-Fearlessness (with a healthy dose of common sense)
Candidates who submit their materials before May 15, 2017 are assured full
consideration. Full job desciption and online application available here:
https://careers.risd.edu/postings/1537

Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home. Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions, ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.