Making Futures: Call for Abstracts
View this email in your browser

With full apologies for the receipt of cross-posts

PLYMOUTH COLLEGE OF ART ANNOUNCE
THE SECOND CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

MAKING FUTURES
CRAFTING A SUSTAINABLE MODERNITY - TOWARDS A MAKER AESTHETICS OF PRODUCTION AND CONSUMPTION

WEBSITE AT: http://makingfutures.plymouthart.ac.uk/

Making Futures will be held on Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd September 2017 within the magnificently sited Mount Edgcumbe estate on the River Tamar opposite the city of Plymouth, Devon, UK

The CALL FOR ABSTRACTS is open and the closing date for receipts is 22nd May 2017. Building on the success of its four previous editions, Making Futures invites proposals for papers and presentations that address the main conference topic, thematic fields and workshops. Making Futures seeks to be broad and inclusive, and invites a diverse range of responses, from artists, craftspeople, designer-makers, Fab Lab and maker-movement enthusiasts, campaigners and activists, curators, historians and theorists.

CONFERENCE AIMSMaking Futures explores contemporary craft and maker movements as ‘change agents’ within 21st century society. Convinced of the transformative potential of small-scale making and its capacity to contribute to new progressive futures, our purpose is to examine and promote the possibilities for maker economies built around contemporary craft, neo-artisanal design-to-make and related creative micro-entrepreneurs and movements.

Crafting a sustainable modernity: towards a maker aesthetics of production and consumption
The coming September edition explores the idea of reclaiming a craft future within a contemporary moment that (contested definitions of the present notwithstanding) still takes place essentially within the ‘arc of Modernity’. Thus rather than seeing maker cultures as necessarily antithetical to contemporary societies, we want to see if we can frame emerging regimes of neo-artisanal production as part of a forward-looking attempt to re-imagine a viable Modernity, one in which small-scale makers and micro-manufacturers contribute to innovation around technology, form, function, aesthetic meaning and social relevance – engaging in responsible (often place-based) market economics but striving to step outside the exploitative forms of commodification associated with the ‘disembedded’ global markets resonant of neo-liberalism.

 WORKSHOPS: we are calling for submissions to three workshops that address ‘crafting a sustainable modernity’ by triangulating approaches to industry, care and community, and the broader social leadership contributions that contemporary makers can make:
  • Craft in Industryin collaboration with the Royal College of Art.
  • The Well Maker Space: in collaboration with Community21, University of Brighton and University of Wolverhampton.
  • Making Leaders (Innovation & Change): in collaboration with CraftNet, the independent leadership and strategic development network for contemporary craft.
THEMATIC FIELDS: alternatively, submissions might address one of six themes:
  • Craft in Modernity - Critical Perspectives on Producers and Consumers
  • Lifecycles of Material Worlds - Sustainability in Practice
  • Procedures of Making - Materials & Processes in Transformation
  • Translations Across (Post-Colonial) Local-Global Divides
  • Craft in an Expanded Field
  • Making Thinking - Crafting Education
TWO EXHIBITIONS: will run during Making Futures:
  • We The People (are the work): a citywide exhibition that will build connections and collaborations that question our engagement with politics and identity, activated by a series of newly commissioned artworks by internationally renowned artists.
  • Plymouth Art Weekendera three-day annual event that takes place across the city from the 22nd- 24th September 2017, showcasing a diverse range of events by local, national and international artists

CONFERENCE BURSARIES: a limited bursary scheme is open to independent makers, see website for information on applying.

FOR FULL DETAILS PLEASE VISIT THE CONFERENCE WEBSITE AT:
http://makingfutures.plymouthart.ac.uk/

We would be grateful if colleagues could forward this second call to interested persons through appropriate notice boards, peer networks and associates.

If you have any questions please email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

This email was sent to [log in to unmask]
Plymouth College of Art · Plymouth College of Art · Tavistock Place · Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AT · United Kingdom

Visit the official page of ARLIS UK & Ireland http://www.arlis.net/Home. Subscribe to https://arlismatters.wordpress.com/, to receive regular posts on art library and archive matters; news, print and digital art and design resources, artists’ books, recent and upcoming events and exhibitions, ARLIS/UK & Ireland publications, job listings and professional profiles.