From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Rachel Hesse <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 19:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Roman Temple/Sanctuary Foundation Deposits

Dear All,

I am hunting through reports to find some correlates to the burnt foundation deposits which have been identified beneath Roman temples in Omrit (Israel) and Maryport (Britain), and was hoping that some of you might be able to point me in the direction of similar finds (published or unpublished).  Although it would be ideal if they were burnt, I would be grateful for anything which looks to you like a secure deposit of faunal remains buried directly beneath a Roman temple.  I have come across several great examples outside of religious contexts, but am struggling to find similar remains in secure deposits beneath Roman temples.

On a related note, I note Clare Rainsford's work on a possible foundation deposit at a Roman shrine in Wiltshire cited in earlier Zooarch posts.  Does anyone (Clare?) happen to have further details on this?

With many thanks for any thoughts you might have!

All best,
Rachel