From: Archaeological wood and charcoal discussion list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Ginevra Coradeschi [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 27 March 2017 22:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MOUNTING-EMBEDDING OF WATERLOGGED WOOD

Hello,

I am a PhD student and I am working with some samples of waterlogged woods from a Roman archaeological site in Lisbon.
The fragments of wood are very spongy and is impossible to prepare any kind of section using a razor blade. I have the opportunity to use both a cryotome and a microtome. I read some articles where is strongly advised to embedding the sample of wood using CARBOWAX and than to prepare section using the microtome. I would like to know whether or not exists a protocol to prepare the sample. I am open to any kind of advise or different methodology.

Best regards and thank you very much in advance.

--
Ginevra Coradeschi
Hercules Laboratory,