Dan, I agree that this doesn't contradict the Bybee and Slobin article.
The point is that small children can't change language *on their own*:
it takes a village, or a city.

I was disappointed at Yang's presentation at the 2016 LSA that he
focused so exclusively on small children.  I haven't read his work in
detail; maybe he does talk about older adults.  I tried to talk to him
afterwards, but that was the panel where the discussants huddled
together on stage for 10-15 minutes and then left, ignoring the
audience.  If his data show that people of all ages make changes, then
his model should include all ages.

I also haven't had time to wrap my head around the distinction you
raised between transmission and diffusion - unless it's just time vs.
space?  In any case, I've been convinced by Penny Eckert that
adolescents in particular play a very important role.

Here is another paper that Bybee and Slobin published with more detail
about that study - but minus the catchy title:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/414099

				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith