Dear Colleagues,

We are seeking abstracts for our session "Reconstructing the real estate-finance link: Housing financialization after the crisis", part of the RC21 conference to be held in Leeds on 11-13 September, 2017. We particularly encourage submissions from early career and PhD researchers, as well as those studying contexts outside the North American-European heartlands of the 2008 financial crisis.

Abstracts should be sent via email to the RC21 conference organizers ([log in to unmask]) and Desiree Fields ([log in to unmask]), Joe Beswick ([log in to unmask]), Zac Taylor ([log in to unmask]). The deadline to submit abstracts is 10 March, 2017. Further guidance on abstract format may be found at https://rc21leeds2017.wordpress.com/

We would be grateful if you could circulate this CFP to colleagues who may be interested in participating in this session.

thank you,

Desiree, Joe, and Zac

Call for Papers

RC21 CONFERENCE 2017 “Rethinking Urban Global Justice”

11-13 September | University of Leeds, UK | https://rc21leeds2017.wordpress.com/

Reconstructing the real estate-finance link: Housing financialization after the crisis
https://rc21leeds2017.wordpress.com/16-reconstructing-the-real-estate-finance-link-housing-financialization-after-the-crisis/

The treatment of housing as a financial asset helped create the conditions for the 2008 global financial crisis. Yet restoring the link between finance and the built environment has also been integral to strategies for recovering from the crisis. The process of financialization is therefore ongoing, but its nature is dynamic. In many countries experiencing systemic housing-financial crises in 2008, for example, the link between finance and housing is currently being remade across tenure and beyond owner-occupation through the rental sector. Within this post-crisis landscape, local and national governments assume complex and varied roles, often enabling or executing housing financialization. At the same time, housing remains a key site in struggles for urban justice, illuminating the fault lines and fragility of financialization.

Though undoubtedly a global process, financialization remains deeply contingent on local and national contexts; indeed the path of post-crisis housing financialization outlined above is but one possible trajectory. To understand the variegated ways the housing-finance link is being (re)constituted, we seek perspectives from across and beyond the heartlands of the global financial crisis–including critiques of the very notion of ‘post-crisis’. Comparative, empirically rich, and historically-grounded approaches are particularly welcome. Contributions from PhD students and early career scholars encouraged. Papers might address:
--

Desiree Fields
Lecturer in Urban Geography