Dear colleagues,

I am writing to you about a campaign to support the academics in Turkey who
have been expelled from their university positions.

As you might have read, there have been several crackdowns on academics in
Turkey. Many have been detained, jailed, and even dismissed from their
posts through statutory decrees. Among them are the “Academics for Peace
<https://barisicinakademisyenler.net/English>”, who signed a declaration
for ceasing human rights violations in the Kurdish provinces. Signed by 2,212
academics in Turkey, the declaration is supported by 355 international
scholars. As of March 2017, at least 383 signatories have been purged from
their jobs, banned from traveling abroad, and denied recourse to legal
dispute. During this difficult time, these scholars have to support their
livelihood and families.

To show solidarity with the affected academics, Research Institute on Turkey
and <http://riturkey.org/>Bostonbul <http://www.bostonbul.org/?page_id=88>,
both 503(1)c non-profits, GIT-NA <http://gitamerica.blogspot.com/> and
concerned academics in North America are launching a campaign to raise $105,000
and support an equivalent of 35 academics for 6 months over minimum wage. The
funds will be fully allocated to financially support the Academics for Peace
through close collaboration with Education and Science Workers’ Union,
Egitim-Sen <http://egitimsen.org.tr/>, and other associations which are
actively assisting the purged Academics for Peace at the local and
international level.

Here is how you can help:

   -

   Donate at this link
   <https://www.youcaring.com/academicsforpeaceinturkey-763983>. There is
   no small amount. All donations are fully tax deductible within legal
   limits. Your employer may match your donation -please use the name Research
   Institute on Turkey, Inc. with Tax ID # 81-4004031. For more
information please
   see here <https://www.bridgetoturkiye.org/donation-match/>, talk to your
   HR Rep, or contact us at [log in to unmask]
   -

   Forward this email to your network and encourage them to get involved.
   -

   Tweet about it: https://twitter.com/RIoTurkey/status/841720000293527552
   <https://twitter.com/rioturkey?lang=en>
   -

   Share it on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ResearchInstituteOnTurkey/
   photos/a.689199137857013.1073741828.626438107466450/
   1142238032553119/?type=3&theater
   <https://www.facebook.com/ResearchInstituteOnTurkey/>

I very much hope you will join me in this solidarity campaign. With your
participation, we will illustrate that the #AcademicsForPeace are not
alone. Thank you for your time and assistance. Please let me know if you
have any questions.

All the best,

Ozgun Topak

--