Hi, Feng,

From the text you attached, it already answered your question as:
According to the polar decomposition
theorem [21], a non-singular Jacobian matrix can be decomposed into a rotation matrix (R)
and a symmetric positive definite matrix (U or V), such that J = RU = VR.

In practice, if you decompose your J by using QR, the U or V as referred above should represent only shape change, i.e., discarding Q since it encodes orientation.

Please fix me if I am wrong.

Best,
Xiaowei Song