Carina's email prompted the memories that 'aanleren' in Dutch is sometimes used for teaching or learning. 'Enseigner' (Teaching) and 'Apprendre' (Learning) are sometimes used interchangeably in French. As an addition to the discussion, 'lecture' in French is 'reading aloud'.

consequently when Helen Trocme translated my book  'Lecturing and Explaining' in 1980 we wrestled how to title it. Her suggestion Bien faire un cours, un expose, une conference. How would you translate Lecturing and Explaining in other languages.

Another interesting derivation is the etymylogical root  of competence is competere (Latin): the abiliy to perform.  The root of 'skill' is skilje (Norse): the ability to perform. So are competences and skills different?

George

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Carina Buckley <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 27 March 2017 09:12:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: References on the shift from 'teaching' to 'teaching and learning'

From the Viking, originally, where ‘larn’ (or something like it) meant ‘teach’. Still a similar sounding word in modern Danish and Norwegian!

Carina
--

Dr Carina Buckley, SFHEA

Instructional Design Manager | Solent Learning and Teaching Institute

Southampton Solent University | East Park Terrace | Southampton SO14 0RJ

T: 023 8201 3336 E: [log in to unmask] www.solent.ac.uk

Co-Chair of ALDinHE: www.aldinhe.ac.uk

From: "Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association" <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of "LAND, RAY L.R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, 25 March 2017 at 19:22
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Also in Glaswegian, as in:

"That'll learn yer"

or

"I'll learn yer!"

Ray

Sent from my iPad

On 25 Mar 2017, at 10:23, O'Mahony, Catherine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi all,
'Foghlaim' in the Irish language denotes both learning and teaching also. As a precursor to the inaugural EuroSoTL conference in Cork in 2015 we collected up various translations of the 'Scholarship of Teaching and Learning'. A number of european languages don't differentiate between the two T&L. I'll dig the examples out and send on Monday.

Best wishes,

Catherine O'Mahony
____________________
Dr Catherine O’Mahony
Manager
Centre for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
Office of the Vice-President for Teaching & Learning
University College Cork
Distillery House, North Mall, Cork

t: +353 21 490 4690
m: +353 87 9921183