From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Christine Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 03 March 2017 14:16:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: PGCAP assessment and equivalences

Hello

I lead on our PGCAP programme and we currently have a formal assessment (linked to UK PSF) where the word count is 7000 words. Some participants are asking if they might make a presentation instead and I am open to this in principle as an alternative format.

But, I am wondering and fretting about how to ensure equivalence in so far as one can and parity across and between whichever format is chosen by the participant.

For the presentation option, I am thinking to ask for a precis or summary including the references, plus the slides used, and that the presentation is followed by a short period for questions. I'm also proposing the panel to whom the presentation is made, will be both the first and second markers plus we record it, in order to keep and for access for the external examiner.

My question to you, good colleagues, is to ask if you have done something similar and any guidance you might offer. I'd be more than happy to collate responses to share with others.

With my kind regards

Chris

Dr Christine Smith

Associate Professor, University of Suffolk