Hi all,

Can anyone point me towards literature or documentation about the terminological shift from ‘teaching’ to ‘teaching and learning’ / ‘learning and teaching’ in higher education? When did that terminology become widespread, and what was the justification/rationale?

I don’t mean general literature on the importance of students’ experiences of learning, or constructivist accounts of learning etc. I’m looking specifically for anything that addresses the terminological shift, i.e. why we should talk about teaching and learning together. It is now commonplace, and I’m interested in the history of how that happened.

I’ll collect together and post any references that are suggested.

Many thanks

Alex

Dr Alex Buckley SFHEA

Learning Enhancement Adviser

Education Enhancement

University of Strathclyde

T: +44 (0)141 548 3673

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, number SC015263.