This is an interesting debate - but so far it has been UK centric - understandably so since most of the members of this list are in the UK. It wasn't until I moved to Canada that I discovered that not all degrees are graded in the same way. I have removed my class of degree from my CV because colleagues have no idea what a 2.i means (not sure they would understand a 'first' either, but I didn't get one so can't find out!). Degrees are not classified here, they are awarded with or without honours, but students also have a transcript which is used if classification matters - for professional courses, masters, doctorates etc. Isn't there some debate in the UK as to whether or not to keep the class system for degrees, given that UK students also get a transcript?

The other big difference is the range of grades used - the allocation of grades it is still arbitrary in my mind, since not everyone uses a rubric and most people don't seem to have heard of second or blind marking, but the range is wider. Or at least the top end of the range is wider but the lower end is not used at all. For example for a masters course this is the grading scale:
0 - 59% F, 60 to 69% C, 70 to 74% B, 75 - 79% B+, 80 to 84% A-, 85 to 89 A, 90 to 100% A+
With so much emphasis on the top end of the scale one might think students would be happy with a B or B+  but no, that is not the case. Most students are anxious and keen to negotiate if they get anything less than a straight A.

Sorry if this is somewhat divergent from the original post but I thought I'd share as I find it fascinating....

Celia

Celia PopovicDirector
Teaching Commons

YORK UNIVERSITY
1046
Victor Phillip Dahdaleh (formerly TEL) Building
 4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON • Canada M3J 1P3
T 416.736.2100 ext 55922 F 416.736.5704

[log in to unmask] www.yorku.ca www.yorku.ca/teachingcommons   Teaching Commons Communities of Practice - Join Now! TC Learning, Teaching and Assessment Programs
Details of my new co-edited book Advancing Practice in Academic Development can be found here: https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138854703

Latest article with Mandy Frake-Mistak and John Paul Foxe - "The instructional skills workshop: a missed opportunity in the UK' is available online here: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14703297.2016.1257949

Newly available - the Educational Developers' Cookbook: http://teachingcommons.yorku.ca/educational-developers-cookbook/

This electronic mail (e-mail), including any attachments, is intended only for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure. No waiver of privilege, confidentiality or any other protection is intended by virtue of its communication by the internet. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not named as a recipient, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies of it.