Dear Panos,
This is a growing industry due to the difficulty and time being taken in proving the work is not the students but I think it may die a death depending on when tech solves the problem I.e. Biometric recognition of content input - ExamProctor does this through the webcam I believe.
One discussion we had through the TESTA project that I believe relates to this topic centred around the lack of iterative points of formative assessment. Using good assessment practices to both increase the students relatedness to and investment into their own work.
Therefore, instead of a summative assessment on its own, we considered whether students would commission ghost writers for iterative and formative points leading up to a summative point? They may then become more involved in both the dialogic nature of assessment and more invested in their own work and in the assessment process. Peer marking could also be important in such a process and brings in a social and moral reflection on the part of the individual.
I agree it is a thorny issue but hope this adds some food for thought - sorry no silver bullet just yet! Maybe someone else has that bullet for you?
Nice to hear from you Panos!

All the best,
Yaz.