John, you are right of course: I don't know whether there is any mention in Carrie's papers?

I think the "nice old" Duke of Connaught holds the key to the mystery. Now we have a confirmed attendance by the Kipling family at the event on 3rd July, can I refresh memories with this little factoid:

Here is an extract from a letter Kipling wrote to his daughter Elsie, from Batemans, Burwash, Sussex on 19th July. 1922.at 8.40. p.m., describing his visit to London the day before:

“Then I to lunch at the Carlton where I met Uncle Stan [Stanley Baldwin, a cousin] ...

“Then I to my graves commission, after having writ our names in the D. of C.’s book - a detail I had omitted since the lunch...

“When I got home to Brown’s at 5 o’clock or later there was Colonel Goodland ..."

With Col Goodland looming large in the centre of the mystery photo, and Elsie also, this must be a reference to the lunch on 3rd.

I am becoming more and more convinced that the lunch was connected to the Masonic Millions fundraising drive towards building the Peace Hall in memory of the many masons who died in the war, and maybe the D. of C. wanted names signed in a supporters book that was not available at the lunch. Individual supporters were entitled to wear a medallion like this

which at least five males of the party including Taft appear to be wearing.

I have scoured the two biogs of the Duke and can find nothing relevant. Does anyone know if his papers or diaries are accessible?

Also, the mention by Taft of the "active men of the Pilgrims": the King had not long returned from his Pilgrimage to the war memorials in Europe ( I think it was May), accompanied and versed by Rudyard - perhaps Pilgrim was a code for War Grave freemasons?

Thanks for keeping the hare cracking on!

Paddy