the internet remains an incredibly fragile space. Experts estimate the
average lifespan of a website is only 92 days, and a 2014 Harvard Law
School study found that half of the URLs in U.S. Supreme Court cases, which
function as online footnotes, don’t link to the originally cited
information.

These findings represent two widespread internet phenomena known as “link
rot,” when a broken URL yields a blank error page, and “content drift,”
when a link directs to new content that has overwritten the old, leaving no
trace of what once was.

http://bit.ly/2ltdJTJ
http://bit.ly/2ltdJTJ+

--