Many thanks all for your answers to my questions regarding the retention of personnel files - there were some very useful links circulated and I'm pleased it generated a good discussion. As expected, there were no supporters for reducing retention to 12 months!

I do still remain a bit unsure of the link between the 6 years of the Limitations Act and the 3 - 6 months time period described on the Citizen's Advice Bureau website for claims in an employment tribunal (under Extension of Jurisdiction Order 1994?) But I'm assuming the Limitations Act takes precedent in most cases.

Have a good weekend all!

Jenny
The Postal Museum