Dear Colleagues,

Just to remind you that the next London PUS seminar will be taking place today (Wednesday 22 March 2017) from 16.15-18.00 in Room QUE328 at LSE (map here http://www.lse.ac.uk/mapsAndDirections/home.aspx), when we will be hosting a special round table discussion on the topic of Trust in the governance of science: a growing tolerance of technocracy in Britain?.  The discussion will be stimulated with presentations from Professor Martin Bauer and Dr Jane Gregory and comments from Melanie Smallman and Simon Lock – as well as the usual high quality discussion around the table.  This seems to be a timely discussion, given recent concerns about public trust in experts in the wider political context, so we hope you will join us.  More details are given in the abstract below.

Our April seminar will be taking place on 26 April, when Federico Brandmayr from the Université Paris–Sorbonne will talk about Competing conceptions of science in the L'Aquila “Major risks” trial.

As usual, all are welcome and there is no need to book a place.  We hope to see you later!

Best wishes
Jane Gregory, Martin Bauer, Simon Lock, Melanie Smallman

PUS seminar 22 March 2017, 16.15-18.00; A special table ronde discussion by the PUS team

Martin W Bauer and Jane Gregory, with comments from Melanie Smallman and Simon Lock

Trust in the governance of science: a growing tolerance of technocracy in Britain?

The British Attitudes to Science (BAS) survey regularly asks 2000+ citizens about their relationship to science and technology. In response to the technocratic assertion ‘we have no option but to trust those who govern science’, agreement has increased from 49% in 2005 to 67% in 2014. Over the same period, agreement with the statement ‘scientists should listen more what ordinary people think’ declined from 74% to 67%; and agreement with ‘the government should act in accordance with public concerns about science and technology’ dropped from 81% to 75%. These changes are statistically and potentially otherwise significant: they suggest the emergence of a ‘tolerance of technocracy’ in Britain. We juxtapose this data with the recent history of science communication, which has seen a growing influence from commercial practice and increasing emphasis on managerial modes of communication such as public relations and public engagement. Positive public attitudes to technocracy suggest that science communicators have done well in supporting the aims of the innovation economy. At the same time, science journalists not only sense mistrust in science communication, but they also have experienced a severe decline in spaces for ‘watchdog’ activity. In this regard, science communicators have lost reputation and independence. These observations raise questions about the relationship between trust in science and trust in science communication, and about what science communicators could usefully do in an apparently happy technocracy.

psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask]. If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)