Dear all

We have a new opportunity for new entrants to science communication or those interested in dipping their toe in the water.  You may know just the person:

The International Centre for Life is a pioneering science village in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne. It is an independent and self-funding charitable trust, which does not receive public funding.  Life’s mission is to ignite and nurture a curiosity in everyone for science, technology, engineering and maths and to encourage the next generation of STEM professionals.  Life Science Centre, which opened in May 2000, is the only purpose-built Science Centre in the north, attracting over 250,000 visitors per year. Life’s varied and eclectic public engagement programme attracts a broad audience including families, adults, pre-schoolers and teenagers.

Trainee Science Explainers

(Starting hourly rate of pay in line with national living wage, rising to £8.44 after successful completion of training development programme.)

We are looking for candidates who are as passionate as we are about engaging people with science.  Your role will be to make a visit to Life interesting, exciting, entertaining and fun for a wide range of audiences, but primarily for families and schoolchildren.   You will deliver hands on science workshops to school groups and scripted science and planetarium shows to the general public.  In addition, there will be opportunities to get involved in other elements of a changing exhibitions and events programme.

The successful candidates will have a broad knowledge of STEM and will preferably hold a degree in a STEM subject or equivalent.  Above all, you will be a curious person who is enthusiastic, enjoys communicating with people and who shares our desire to help our visitors understand better the relevance of science in their lives.   A comprehensive training programme will be offered.

Hours will vary according to the needs of the business but candidates should expect to work some weekends and public holidays.

Please note that successful applicants will be subject to a DBS check. Details of our DBS policy are available on request.

To apply for this vacancy, please send a letter of application and current CV to:

Louise Richardson, HR Manager, International Centre for Life Trust, Management Suite, Times Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4EP

or by email to: [log in to unmask] by Monday 3rd April 2017.

The International Centre for Life is an equal opportunities employer and is accredited with the Equality Standard Gold Award.

Registered Charity Number: 1059607

Please share this with anyone you think might be interested. More details are available at https://jobs.life.org.uk/

Many thanks

Andy

Andy Lloyd
Head of Special Projects

International Centre for Life
Management Suite
Times Square
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 4EP
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)191 243 8283
Email: [log in to unmask]

Want to hear about what’s on at Life Science Centre? Sign up to our e-news

The International Centre for Life aims to be the most innovative place in the world for uniting people who are passionate about science. Life ignites and nurtures a curiosity in everyone for science, technology, engineering and maths and encourages the next generation of STEM professionals. We support world-class science in the region and make a positive economic, social and cultural contribution to North East England and its communities.
For more information visit life.org.uk

Disclaimer - March 20, 2017

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for [log in to unmask]. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of International Centre for Life. Warning: Although International Centre for Life has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments. **********************************************************************

psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask]. If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)