Hi John and Phil

I agree with Phil's argument: "the things that work for the 'hard sciences' don't necessarily easily transpose to the social sciences". I insist, however, that using programming languages like Python, R, JAVA, LaTex, etc. will be more and more frequent in our "soft sciences". Why? Because they are powerful tools that facilitate us the processing of scientific tasks that otherwise would be boring. Most of my colleagues deplore the use of these tools until they see their benefits. The most recent anecdote was the one related with using Rstudio for analyzing, visualizing and writing a scientific paper with the apa6 package for Latex which is available for Sweave documents in RStudio (note that this implies to discard the use of the frequent combination of SPSS, Excel and Word for analyzing data, plotting graphics and writing the paper). Once they saw all the magic working, they changed their minds (recognizing the need to learn)... These programming languages represent a significant change in relation to the tools we use to collect and analyze data, visualize relationships among variables and report our papers. Perhaps we (social scientists) are not well trained to use these tools. Perhaps we need more training and education to understand them well. But this depends more in our openness and less in how they operate.

Juan C. Correa
https://sites.google.com/site/jcorrean/Home