Hello all,

Please find attached and below details of the plenary speaker address for the BSA Human Reproduction Study Group conference taking place on Tuesday 23rd May at De Montfort University.

***Abstracts due this Wednesday 15th March***

Please send abstracts to [log in to unmask].

Presentation slots will be 15 minutes in duration.

Plenary Speaker: Professor Jacqui Gabb

Unsettling lesbian motherhood: Critical reflections over a generation (1990-2015)

The UK is recognised as one of the most progressive countries for LGBTQ rights in Europe. In this paper I will explore how advancements in equality rights and positive social attitudinal changes have been experienced by lesbian mothers over a generation (1990-2015). I reflect on moments where sexuality and relationships become meaningful to draw attention to the factors that shape queer motherhood. This highlights the need to problematize coupledom and unpicks the conflation of temporal progression, progressive rights and narratives of progress. Autobiographical moments are combined with data from empirical research to open up discussion on the subject and also facilitate reflection on how we understand and come to know queer parenthood.

Professor Jacqui Gabb is Chair of Sociology and Intimacy at The Open University, UK. Interests centre on interdisciplinary approaches for researching and theorizing intimacy, sexuality and family life. She has completed RCUK-funded projects on lesbian parenthood, intimacy and sexuality in families, and post-divorce fatherhood.

Findings from her recent study on long-term couple relationships have been published in a self-help handbook The Secrets of Enduring Love (Penguin, Random House, 2016) and ‘translated’ into online relationship resources for young people and an eLearning pack for teachers. Academic publications include Couple Relationships in the 21st Century (Palgrave, 2015) and Researching Intimacy in Families (Palgrave, 2008).

Many Thanks,

Dr Kylie Baldwin

Senior Lecturer

Health Studies and Sociology

Reproduction Research Group

DE MONTFORT UNIVERSITY

Allied Health Sciences

Hawthorn Building  0.18

De Montfort University

Faculty of Health & Life Sciences

The Gateway

Leicester

LE1 9BH

T: 01162577735

E: [log in to unmask]

W: http://dmu.academia.edu/KylieBaldwin

Twitter@DrKylieBaldwin

Office hours by appointment Tuesday and Thursdays 9-11.