Nicola Lowe wrote:

Thank you very much, that is most helpful.  May I ask another (4th!) question?  Were simple said masses actually said in an ordinary voice or were particular bits intoned or chanted as they are today?

It's hard to say. A said mass was supposed to be private - i.e. only the priest and a server present. If there was any sort of 'congregation' the priest should have sung (intoned or chanted) the whole lot. (Which is another reason for drafting in a deacon and subdeacon...) The modern 'Low Mass' seems to be a modern invention.

Have a look for the "Experience of Worship" project and the associated videos and book.

John Briggs