The George Ewart Evans Centre for ‘Storytelling Storytelling and Place’ symposium takes place on the 21st and 22nd April.

Storytelling can help us understand our identity and relationship to the places we inhabit, be these geographic or psychological. In our current times, when national identity is constantly being negotiated and renegotiated, as Europe is reshaped in the wake of the ’Brexit’ vote and as Twitter is rebirthed as an instrument of government, the stories we tell about ourselves and our places can serve to guide us and inform our relationship to the world and each other. In an era which has been described as ‘post-truth’ and where news stories draw their cultural capital as much from their ‘clickworthiness’ as their veracity the stories we tell about ourselves and our place within the world have become one of the most-urgent issues of our time.

We aim to inspire, encourage and showcase exciting projects across a wide spectrum of digital storytelling activity which focuses on place. The conference features invited keynote presentations, a panel discussion with leading Welsh writers and poets, performances of stories and provocations by prominent thinkers in the field of story and place. Confirmed contributors include: Dr Jamie TehraniProf Kevin MillsCatherine FisherCath LittleDr Hilary Ramsdenthe International NAR-SPI 'Narrative educational resources for socio professional inclusion’ panelSusan RichardsonPeter Stephenson, Catrin James of 'The Heritage of Orchards & Cider Making in Wales’Dr Aparna Sharma, Dr Lisa Lewis and Dr Helen Davies, and Prof Sioned Davies.

The two day event is held on Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd April 2017 in The Atrium, University of South Wales, Adam St, Cardiff, CF24 2FN.

Tickets (£30 - £70) and a full itinerary are available online at http://storytelling.research.southwales.ac.uk/storyplace/.

Dr Emily Underwood-Lee

Canolfan Adrodd Storïau George Ewart Evans * George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling

Sefydliad Ymchwil Diwydiannau Creadigol * Creative Industries Research Institute

+44 (0)1443 668547 / 07879 026352
http://storytelling.research.southwales.ac.uk/

University of South Wales, Atrium, Cardiff Campus, Adam Street, Cardiff, CF24 2FN

Prifysgol De Cymru, ATRiuM, Campws Caerdydd, Heol Adam, Caerdydd, CF24 2FN