Hi Helen,

This idea is not thought through or instructions written but here are the bare bones of a very very simple solution using Acrobat reader advanced find.

1.       Agree a set of broad categories under which to store information

2.       Set up a shared network drive

3.       Set up a series of folders on a shared drive to reflect the categorisation

4.       Ensure that all resources are stored as PDFs - May need to convert word documents.

5.       Set up an introductory PDF with instructions and links as appropriate.

6.       Now the good bit...

7.       Your introductory PDF will be open in Adobe Acrobat reader

8.       If you press CTRL + SHIFT + FIND it brings up the advanced Find:

9.       This allows you to search within multiple folders over multiple PDFs.

10.   Browse to the top folder in your file structure in the 'Look In: 'box

11.   'Show more options'  allows you even to put in detailed Boolean terms if needed.

12.   The results come out in an 'Explorer' style list that you can drill down to find links to  individual occurrences of a term within each document.

See images attached

13.   Click on the link to open the document at the position of the term.

I have not yet explored all the advanced find features but it struck me that, in the words of '1066 and all that', this is a GOOD THING.

Well worth sharing with people doing basic research, writing papers and guidelines when they don't have access to Endnote's PDF handling functions.

You can also make a PDF copy of a word document that has Google scholar results in / or Pubmed results and have these included in the search.

Any hyperlinks will still work.

You could also annotate texts you are reading onscreen in word with your own keywords, so that these positions will also be pulled up when you do a search on a stored PDF version

I am considering writing some generic instructions for this, but there are some here www.bestofsherlock.com/eworld/adobe-reader-tips.pdf<http://www.bestofsherlock.com/eworld/adobe-reader-tips.pdf>

Hope this might be a stop- gap measure but I do think that this has great potential for multiple uses

Don't forget that you can easily generate filename lists and links to files (as circulated earlier).

Found out today that you can right drag files and folders into word if needed and drop them as shortcuts

Best wishes,

David  Newman

D J S Newman Ph.D., B.Sc., Cert Ed
Library Information Skills Trainer
More on Website<https://exeterhealthlibrary.net/services/training/>

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>                         Tel: 01392 40 6727

Exeter Health Library                    (EXE)
Peninsula Medical School Building
Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
Barrack Road
Exeter
Devon                       EX2 5DW

Tel: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .          01392 406800   (PMS Building)
                                                                01392 674107  (Wonford House)
E-mail:  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .         [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Website: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .        https://exeterhealthlibrary.net/
RD&E Research Repository:        http://rde.openrepository.com/rde
Keep up to date with library news:
 Follow us on Twitter              @ExeHealthLib