It's the word "training" I was objecting to!

Andy

From: learning development in higher education network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kim Shahabudin
Sent: 24 March 2017 15:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Integrity & Critical friendships advice

What's wrong with talking about academic integrity training?

Building student understanding of the principles that underpin writing and
research at university level is a positive undertaking which crucially
treats them as adult independent learners. In my experience of talking to
other learning developers, it's gained popularity as a more positive
response to the failure of negative 'avoid plagiarism or fail' scare
strategies which led to student writing demonstrating an over-reliance on
direct quotes and unquestioning acceptance of authority. It is *about*
developing students' ability to work with other people's ideas, in an
appropriate manner for academic study.

Stephen: I haven't used either of these, but two possible ideas:

[1] Get students to work in small groups, in class but without intervention
from the tutor, taking it in turns to present topic paragraphs written
before the seminar and discuss their different approaches before presenting
a summary to the whole class. Each group could be focusing on a different
aspect of the topic.

[2] Suggest academics give an account of their own working practices,
indicating when and how they shared work in progress and the kinds of things
they gained from discussion with colleagues.

Best wishes, and happy weekends,

Kim

  _____

Dr Kim Shahabudin, SFHEA, Study Adviser, Study Advice & Maths Support

1st Floor, University of Reading Library, Whiteknights, PO Box 223, Reading,
RG6 6AE

* 0118 378 4242/4614 * www.reading.ac.uk/library/study-advice
<http://www.reading.ac.uk/library/study-advice>  twitter: @unirdg_study

Please note that I now work part-time and am not usually on campus on
Mondays.

  _____