From: Eric Jukes <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 22 March 2017 9:41 PM
To: Anand Suchith
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Is it possible for properitery GIS vendor to market thier properitery product as Open ?

Trade Descriptions Act 1968 (for U.K.) Purchaser should complain to their landlord local authority's Trading Standards department.

Eric Jukes

On 22 Mar 2017, at 20:19, Suchith Anand <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a query. If a properitery GIS vendor starts marketing thier properitery products as Open platform and software then what rights do the organisations and customers have who are mislead buying the  properitery software thinking it is open have ?  The definision of Proprietary software [1] is very clearly defined, so  how can it be possible for any properitery GIS vendor to market their  software knowingly as open platform if it is properitery?

This also greatly affects the business and revenues of true open source software companies .  Who is responsible for any misleading marketing that results in losses to both customers who are mislead to buy the properitery software thinking it is open  and also to other companies who do true open source business who lose out on the business opportunities? Is it right business ethics to do this?

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_software

University of Nottingham.