Hi

I'm looking for specimens of 'black lithics' (e.g. lignite, jet, oil shale, cannel coal, manjack) from the Caribbean, Venezuela, Columbia and Guyana to use as comparative reference material for a study of prehistoric Caribbean carvings.

Ideally I'm looking for material that I could loan for non-destructive analysis using X-radiography/micro-CT and XRF. If I could also take (very) small samples for FTIR that would be even better.

I'm aware of specimens at the Natural History Museum, London, and the Oxford University Museum of Natural History, but I'd be really grateful if anyone could let me know of any other collections (however large or small)

Many thanks,

Fiona

Dr Fiona Brock

Lecturer in Applied Analytical Techniques

Cranfield Forensic Institute

Cranfield University

Defence Academy of the United Kingdom

Shrivenham