Dear Isaac,
the + symbol you see either at the top or bottom of the boxplot represents one or more outliers.
For details see here:
https://uk.mathworks.com/help/stats/boxplot.html

Hope it helps,
Ludovica
Ludovica Griffanti, PhD
Analysis Postdoctoral Research Assistant
Oxford Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain (FMRIB)
Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford
John Radcliffe Hospital
Oxford, OX3 9DU, UK
email: [log in to unmask]