Dear colleagues,

We would like to remind you that the deadline  for submitting abstracts
to the International Conference on "Democracy and Participation in the
21st Century”,  12-15 July 2017, Lisbon School of Economics &
Management (ISEG), Universidade de Lisboa, is: 12 March 2017.
We would also like to inform you that this deadline will not be extended.

A direct link to the Call for Papers is available on the ISA website at:
[ http://www.isa-sociology.org/uploads/files/cfp_rc10_lisboa_2017.pdf
]http://www.isa-sociology.org/uploads/files/cfp_rc10_lisboa_2017.pdf

The details on how to submit a proposal and the full description of the
sessions are available for download from the conference website:
[
http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/%7Esocius/eventos/ISA-RC10/call_for_papers.shtml
]http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/~socius/eventos/ISA-RC10/call_for_papers.shtml

Amongst the many exciting streams proposed at the conference, we would
like to draw your attention to and invite paper proposals for Stream 6.8
on "Citizenship"

6.8. Citizenship
Session Organized by: Jurate Imbrasaite, Vytautas Magnus University,
Lithuania

Citizenship can be defined as legal, political and social entitlements or
a set of institutionally embedded practices. There is a great deal of
public debate about the meaning of citizenship, the relationship between
citizens and government, effectiveness of democracy, policy measures aimed
at promoting active citizenship and future prospects in the globalized
world. There are increasing concerns about the role of the state in
promoting effective policy-making and the effects of a strong civic
tradition on the performance of the political system as a whole. Most
scholars agree that the nation-state is in decline and that there is a
need to do some hard thinking about what these changes mean for being a
citizen. The state, the market and the forum as well as their complex
relationship should be analyzed as competing fields of citizenship
practices in order to understand the
institutions and practices of citizenship in the contemporary world.

This session welcomes papers applying different theoretical and empirical
approaches with respect to change and development of citizenship on the
national and global scale. In particular we are interested in the
following themes:

• What does it mean to be a “good” citizen in the 21st century?
• What are the consequences of citizenship for the effectiveness of the
political system?
• What can the trajectories of citizenship development be in the context
of rapid marketization?
• What is the relationship between capitalist development and
citizenship development?
• What is a sense of political membership in a globalized world?

Best regards,

Jūratė Imbrasaite
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology