Hi All,

I don’t know if I have over thought this, so I wonder if you can help?

Once a week on sport afternoon, we at the University, employ the services of a private ambulance and paramedic. They are on site and will deal with any sporting injuries that occur at the University during the afternoon.

As they are employed by us and under contract, does the information that they gather about injuries belong to them or us, or are we both data controllers? It is clearly the sensitive personal data of the data subject. But if we want that data for health and safety purposes, to see if it is a cost effective service or in case there may be a legal claim made, what rights do we have to obtain the information from the private ambulance service? Should we have a data sharing agreement?

It struck me that if we did not employ this service and just called 999 for an ambulance, then the NHS would obviously give us no information. We could however, collate information from a first aider who called the ambulance. This would give us some basic information as to the sport, injury type and patient.

So I was wondering what information if any, we can request from the private ambulance provider?

Thanks all.

Christopher Munro,

Harper Adams University.

All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]