The thought of allowing anyone other than the DPO (function) to notify the ICO of "breaches" brings me out in a cold sweat.

With a major client we have implemented an 18/7 telephone reporting and response system, with 24/7 reporting (to vmail) and an email reporting system.  Reports are handled by experienced staff who are knowledgable about the business and notification.  In the majority of "breaches" reported to date, substantial follow-up and investigation has been required to obtain sufficient information to decide (a) whether it is notifiable and (b) to complete the notification if so.

At present the assessment process is being run to the point of notification, with a go/no go decision taken within 72 hours.  It's giving confidence that breaches reported to the DPO function can be notified to the ICO within 72 hours with the required information.