Interestingly, the Bar Disciplinary Tribunal has also fined (and named) a barrister whose client files ended up in bin bags.

http://www.legalfutures.co.uk/latest-news/barristers-fined-data-protection-breaches-case-papers-end-bin-online

Jon Baines,
Chair,
nadpo.co.uk

On 17 Mar 2017, at 10:45, Andrew Charlesworth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

In which case, we have at least reached an accurate accord - individuals have previously been named in CMP cases, therefore there it would not be entirely unprecedented (and unfair) to name an individual.  However, the ICO is not obliged under the Act to disclose names (or to disclose why they have not disclosed names, subject to FOI).  I would suggest that the reasoning is likely to be that the effect of naming the individual in this case would be likely to have a disproportionate impact on them compared to the likely public benefit to be achieved by the disclosure - I would note that the Crossley and Niebel/McNeish examples are rather different in terms of the nature and scope of the behaviour penalised from the instant case .  I would thus be inclined to take the same position on that point as I did in my initial e-mail, however, your mileage may (and clearly does) vary.  If that is the ICO's reasoning, then ultimately that may end up subject to consideration by the courts.

Andrew