### Apologies for cross-posting ###

Call for Papers

Institute of Australian Geographers (IAG) Conference,

Brisbane, Australia

July 11 – 14 2017

Session title: Research Ethics and the Neoliberal University

Theme: Research Practice

Organisers: Roger Baars and Karen Fisher (University of Auckland, NZ)

Geographers have emphasised that ethics in practice are broader in scope than ethics protocols within universities. While this has stimulated debate about research practices and the ethical considerations underlying them, we call for greater attention to be given to the effects of bureaucratic and managerialist ethics protocols on research design and conduct once approval has been obtained. The constraints imposed by ethics protocols can lead some researchers to choose safe research projects that are easy to get through ethics, some researchers to ignore the requirement to seek ethics approval, and some to bend the (formal) rules to better accommodate the complexities of doing social research. We invite papers that engage with recent debates around ethics in research, ethical research practices, and empirical accounts of negotiating ethics in practice.

Themes could include:

Please submit your abstract via the conference website, and also get in contact with us to indicate interest (Roger Baars – [log in to unmask] and Karen Fisher – [log in to unmask])

Dr Roger C. Baars | Research Fellow

School of Environment

The University of Auckland

Private Bag 92019, Auckland Mail Centre 1142