*Conference of Irish Geographers, University College Cork. *

Thursday 4 May - Saturday 6 May 2017.

*Call for Papers (Deadline 20th March 2017). Early bird registration closes
20th March. *

*Organisers: *Supporting Women in Geography (SWIG) Ireland.

*Session abstract*

This session, led by the newly established Supporting Women in Geography
(SWIG) Ireland, seeks to explore the role of ‘Women in Geography’.  SWIG
Ireland is one of a growing number of autonomous organisations across the
U.S. with similar groups emerging in Canada and Europe that promote the
participation and empowerment of women within the discipline of Geography.
We aim to bring women together in a supportive and engaging environment
through which to tackle gender (and other intersectional) inequalities
while also celebrating the diverse perspectives that women bring to the
discipline of Geography.

 Drawing on the conference theme ‘Disruptions and Transgressions’ we would
like to interrogate how women in geography “have challenged, and continue
to challenge, existing practices, systems of provision and institutional
arrangements”.  This session is interested in exploring the lived realities
of ‘Women in Geography’ adding both an empirical and experiential layer to
previous work within feminist geographies which have long sought to
“improve women’s lives by understanding the sources, dynamics and
spatiality of women’s oppression” (Dixon and Jones in S. Aitken and G.
Valentine, 2006).   Therefore, we invite papers that address (but are not
limited to) themes such as:

●     Challenges to institutional and/or societal sexism;

●     Being a female geographer ‘in the field’;

●     Challenges of early career geographers of all genders;

●     Geography,Geographer and Motherhood;

●     (Un)heard voices of female geographers;

●     Attitudes toward student care and it’s effect on career progression;

●     How the spaces of feminism are shaped;

●     In-depth interrogation of work from prominent female geographers.

This session is not prescriptive and we are interested in proposals for
papers that are practice based or connect academic and activist work and/or
delve into the real lived experiences of ‘Women in Geography’.  We also
welcome contributions from postgraduate students and early career
researchers.

*Instructions for authors*

Please submit your abstract through the CIG paper abstract form and select
'Women in Geography' as the themed session *and* forward your abstract and
interest to session convenors.  Form can be found here:
http://www.conferenceofirishgeographers.ie/abstract-submission-form-c1r5x

*Please note:* You cannot submit an abstract until you have registered for
the conference which we urge you to do asap.

The expected format is 15 minutes with 5 minutes for Q&A but is subject to
change.

--
Aoife Delaney
PhD student, The Programmable City.
Supporting Women in Geography (SWIG) Ireland
<http://www.geographicalsocietyireland.ie/supporting-women-in-geography.html>:
Co-founder, Interim Committee Member and Co-chairwomen.