FYI

From: The list of the Hydrogeological Group of the Geological Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of GP3
Sent: 14 March 2017 16:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: PUBLICATION: GP3 - Groundwater Protection Guidance

All,

New versions of the Environment Agency's Groundwater Pollution Prevention Principles (GP3), our flagship groundwater guidance, were launched on 14 March 2017. Please use this new guidance going forward, when planning or undertaking activities that may affect groundwater.

The guidance can be accessed here:  https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/groundwater-protection

The principles in our guidance have not changed and we have not introduced any new position statements, but the text has been revised and updated.

The revised guidance aligns with the government digital transformation aims to improve customers' digital journey and better meet your needs. You should now be able to find the information you need more quickly.

Much of the background text from GP3 has been removed. New web pages have been produced for definitions, EPR exclusions and  discernibility. The GP3 position statements are in a single downloadable pdf document.  Information on cemeteries has been consolidated and put onto separate web pages rather than pdf documents.  Some of the information removed has been archived and can be accessed as archived web pages.  However, we will not be updating this archived information.  We recommend you access our most up-to-date information from our live web pages.

We will be gathering feedback on how users are accessing the Environment Agency's groundwater information. If the new look guidance does not meet your needs, please let us know using the 'is there anything wrong with this page?' link at the bottom of each webpage.  We very much welcome your constructive feedback on the new look web pages, so we can make changes to the content where needed. You can use the feedback to inform us of what you were trying to do and where it went wrong.

A summary of the changes to GP3 is presented in the table below.

New content title

External URL

Content summary: What's available

Previous content (now withdrawn and archived)

Groundwater protection Collection

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/groundwater-protection

This is a landing page for all the groundwater content. Use this page to access groundwater protection guides covering: requirements, permissions,  risk assessments and controls (previously covered in GP3).

N/A

Protect groundwater and prevent groundwater pollution

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/protect-groundwater-and-prevent-groundwater-pollution

Use this guide to understand when your activities affect groundwater, definitions relevant to groundwater, what permissions you may need and how to prevent pollution
The HTM guide contains:
1.Permission to discharge to or abstract from groundwater
2.Groundwater definition
3.Prevent groundwater pollution
4.Prevent hazardous substances from entering groundwater
5.Limit non-hazardous pollutants from entering groundwater
6.Consider the geological characteristics of your location
7.Groundwater vulnerability
8.Restrictions within groundwater sensitive locations
9.Sensitive groundwater locations
10.Saline intrusion
There are two diagrams, one describing confined aquifers, the other groundwater vulnerability

GP3: sections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Groundwater protection technical guidance

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/groundwater-protection-technical-guidance

Use this guide to understand:

*         inputs of substances and pollutants to groundwater

*         discernibility of hazardous substances

*         when geological formations can be determined permanently unsuitable for other purposes
This guidance is for planners, applicants for environmental permits and abstraction licences, and landowners concerned with the quality and quantity of groundwater.

The HTML  technical guidance contains:
1. Groundwater discharges: inputs
2. Discernibility of hazardous substances
3. Geological formations permanently unsuitable for other purposes
There is a diagram to show where to assess discernibility.

GP3: section 8

Groundwater activity exclusions from environmental permits

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/groundwater-activity-exclusions-from-environmental-permits

Use this guide to find out if your groundwater discharges are extremely low risk so don't need an environmental permit or exemption.
The HTML guide contains:
1.Accidents and natural causes exclusion
2.Very minor discharges exclusion - also called 'de minimis'
3.Risks to human health or the environment exclusion
4.Disproportionate cost for land contamination exclusion

GP3: section 8

Groundwater protection position statements

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/groundwater-protection-position-statements

Use this guide to access GP3 position statements. Find out how the Environment Agency carries out government policy for groundwater and adopts a risk-based approach where legislation allows.

GP3: section 6

Cemeteries and burials: prevent groundwater pollution

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cemeteries-and-burials-prevent-groundwater-pollution

Use this guide to understand how to manage cemeteries and burial of human and animal remains, to prevent or limit groundwater pollution.

*         Human and animal burials: minimum groundwater protection

*         Burials below the water table

*         Disposal of ashes

*         Human home burials

*         Green burial sites

*         Existing cemeteries

*         New cemeteries and extensions

*         Arrangements for human burials in emergencies

*         Animal burials

*         Animal burials in emergencies

*         Emergency animal burial by weight

Assessing the groundwater pollution potential of cemeteries 3rd edition (2004)

Cemeteries and burials: risk assessments

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cemeteries-and-burials-groundwater-risk-assessments

Use this guide to find out how to carry out a groundwater risk assessment for human or animal burials.

Assessing the groundwater pollution potential of cemeteries 3rd edition (2004)

Land contamination groundwater compliance points: quantitative risk assessments

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/land-contamination-groundwater-compliance-points-quantitative-risk-assessments

Use this guide to find out how to select compliance points for the assessment of risks to groundwater from land contamination.

GP3: section 8

Helen Bray

On behalf of,
Lucia Susani
Environment & Business Manager - Groundwater

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.
                                      Click here<https://mail1.environment-agency.gov.uk:9449/pem/pages/digestProcess/digestProcess.jsf?content=5181f377be9176fcb91cd4bca0f87d0c8f6ef6b5d7ad29db5fc48756aa8cfda9c9ec2763a7ec049dc669394614e2bd95646a6a507b109364c0f0bafeeffeabb6e524e96f7baf380bb7c4593460c9b948ee49de276d07952e956bb9070fd5ce6899577f8d62c20ad2f896a4f046f7e29e76d10419c46be605d9d805d91f645158ef7593053303dbb70f48a105c06edf51> to report this email as spam

This message has been scanned and no issues discovered.
                                      Click here<https://mail1.environment-agency.gov.uk:9449/pem/pages/digestProcess/digestProcess.jsf?content=5181f377be9176fc1dd890f44b0b22b59c8e5816819f650e688bdbc51afe1decc9ec2763a7ec049dc669394614e2bd959b6fd360645906dd9c108e8a33a9fc10d9da3aa775d92a48c02ad63e3ff74a93a43c4aef334da9793726885e53215f65579db62f3e2099dceb1f914f4c19f7a477ddb68acf08b693b133f29ef8c40e3bd062a263440c0f5aa00a1e75770aa9bc47e929f27ff11f0c7187b2a350b3fbd0> to report this email as spam

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

                                            To report this email as SPAM, please forward it to [log in to unmask]