Dear List,
Michael Hughes Senior Advisor, E&B (Land & Contamination Management), at the Environment Agency has asked me to pass on the following message....

Would like to make all LA Contaminated Land Officers aware that whilst Defra are closing down the Local Authority Contaminated Land Capital Programme on 31st March 2017, the Environment Agency’s contaminated land capital settlement under SR15 carries on for the next 3 years (2017/18-2019/20). We have been allocated a provisional sum of around £0.5m/year to progress work on orphan Special Sites, including abandoned landfills under Part 2A.

In 2017/18 the funding will be targeted at investigation of potential special sites on behalf of Local Authorities – especially those where we may be able to find appropriate persons who are liable for the costs of remediation. While it may be possible to use the funds in subsequent years to pay for some remediation work on any orphan special sites, the investigations will help to determine future SR capital bids.

Special sites are those sites that meet the criteria specified in the Contaminated Land (England) Regulations 2006 where it is more suitable for the EA to investigate rather than the LA and, if designated, the EA takes on the lead regulatory role. Get in touch with Michael or Liz in the EA’s national Land and Contamination Management team (via [log in to unmask]) to discuss any sites that might meet these criteria and would benefit from an Agency-led capital works inspection. Note that progressing any project depends on site criteria, availability of funds and agreement from the local EA technical officer.

Any queries please contact [log in to unmask]
Cheers David