Would broadly agree with this but think, in terms of small developments, that officers need to consider their areas when deciding how to address small sensitive developments (especially when creating new units associated with gardens) not associated with any obvious sources of contamination.  I am aware of areas in London (and no doubt this would be repeated in some urban areas across the country) where the usual suspects are at levels that are likely to have resulted in harm for no apparent reason… I generally ask for a simpler range of information rather than reporting.

Maybe a bit simplistic but, in terms of new builds which create new units with gardens, I’ve never seen the difference between 1 unit and a major dev of 10 or more.

Thanks

Robert

Robert Tyler
Principal Pollution Control Officer - Land, Air & Water

London Borough of Hackney

Public Realm

Neighbourhoods & Housing Directorate

PO Box 70210

E8 9EJ

Tel: 020 8356 4827

For further information on Land, Water and Air issues see:  http://www.hackney.gov.uk/pollution-2.htm

Sign up to be warned of Medium and High Air Pollution Events in London: http://www.hackney.gov.uk/airtext

Disclaimers:
1. General Environmental Information: Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information and data provided within this correspondence, the Council accept no liability for any loss or damage howsoever caused arising from any reliance placed by any other person upon the information and data contained herein.

2. Relating to Planning and Olympics Issues: The responsibility to properly address contaminated land issues, including safe development and secure occupancy, and irrespective of any involvement by this Authority, lies with the owner/developer of the site.