From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Wilson
Sent: 09 March 2017 16:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Recycled DPM installed as GAS Protection prior to discharged of conditions [Scanned]

Lisa

This question and the replies have highlighted a number of issues with ground gas assessment and risk assessment.

  1.  The first question is what is the CSM for the site and is the CS2 designation realistic and valid?  Quite often gas monitoring data is incorrectly interpreted to over estimate the risk.
  2.  Any one giving truly impartial advice on gas membranes would not state that recycled material is no good for gas membranes (although someone whose business is selling gas membranes made from virgin materials might tell you that).  A 2mm thick membrane made from recycled materials may be OK.  BS8485 does not preclude the use of recycled materials – it warns about their use and states that if membranes are made from recycled materials they must meet all the requirements stated earlier in the standard.   The same applies to any type of membrane (even if it has a BBA certificate) - designers should consider all the factors identified in BS8485 that affect membrane choice and then choose the appropriate membrane.   This should be done by consultants not suppliers.  If you are using the standard please read ALL OF IT.
  3.  In recent years the plastics industry has made massive advances in being able to supply higher quality recycled materials and they are used in load bearing drainage applications.  It does all depend on QA/QC though and the manufacturing process makes things harder with membranes.
  4.  The GSV approach to gas assessment is an extremely conservative method that works most of the time.  It can be over ridden by DQRA – this is explained in BS8485.  It is quite likely that Clive W is correct about a membrane not being required, but the route to that conclusion is not to randomly assign scores to the floor slab and membrane.  The construction of the slab needs to be looked at and site specific gas flow modelling and risk assessment completed.  DQRA involves a lot more that adjusting the GSVs and scores.  As Mike says there may be areas that are less well ventilated for example that need to be considered.
  5.  It is also questionable whether BS8485 is valid once construction of the floor slab has been completed and the risk is being reassessed.  It is not intended to be applied to existing buildings!  This is because it is so conservative.

Steve

Steve Wilson, Technical Director
The Environmental Protection Group Ltd

Tel 07971 277869
www.epg-ltd.co.uk<http://www.epg-ltd.co.uk/>

Disclaimer:

Information contained in this e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee only and is confidential and may contain commercially sensitive material.  Any dissemination, copying or other use of this communication, other than for which it is explicitly intended, without the permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Whilst all e-mails are screened for know viruses, the Company cannot accept responsibility for any which may have been transmitted.