From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Maxwell
Sent: 09 March 2017 12:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Recycled DPM installed as GAS Protection prior to discharged of conditions [Scanned]

Dear All

I remember on a ground gas training course (I think it was run by PAG at the Vermont Hotel in Newcastle upon Tyne) but there was definitely a gentleman there speaking who did design membranes.  He advised that recycled membranes were of no use as a gas protection membrane as they act like sieves (I may be paraphrasing slightly).  Can anyone point me in the right direction please as I need literature to back theses comments up.

The reason being and please keep in mind I am not discharging this condition.

We have a commercial development (supermarket) that has been identified as characteristic site 2.  The developer has started building without the conditions being discharged and has installed the Visqueen Eco membrane.

The Data Sheet for Visqueen Ecomembrane,  shows that this is a Damp Proof Membrane not a gas protection membrane. I have reviewed the Data Sheet that has been submitted to discharge the condition; it states:

IMPORTANT

Based on BBA, BRE and CIRIA guidelines, Visqueen Building Products recommend the use of special gas protection membranes (rather than traditional polythene DPMs) as suitable protection

against ground gases. On brownfield sites or where there is ground contamination please seek further advice from Visqueen Building Products .

I have advised that at this stage it would to their benefit to obtain the additional advice as indicated by Visqueen within the data sheet prior to any further discussions.

Kindest Regards

Lisa

Mrs. Lisa Maxwell
Contaminated Land Officer

NTP Logo Process RGB (Email).jpg

Quadrant, The Silverlink North, Cobalt Business Park, North Tyneside, NE27 0BY

Tel: 0191 643 6642
Email: [log in to unmask]

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee. It may contain information or opinion which is strictly confidential or is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, copy, print, distribute or otherwise rely upon the contents of this email. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete this email. This email has been scanned for viruses and inappropriate content by Mimecast Unified Email Management Services. North Tyneside Council does not guarantee this email to be free of any viruses. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this message and any attachments are virus free. This e-mail may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.