***Apologies for cross-posting - Please distribute widely***

This is the second call for papers for the 8th Annual Conference of the AESOP Sustainable food planning group:

Re-imagining sustainable food planning, building resourcefulness: Food movements, insurgent planning and heterodox economics”

Hosted by the Centre for Agroecology, Water and Resilience, Coventry University, Coventry, UK,

PLEASE NOTE THE DATES HAVE BEEN Finalised: 14-15 November 2017

Please read the full call for papers here: https://aesopsfp.wordpress.com/call-for-papers/

Deadline for submission: 1st April 2017

An extract of the call is below:

In this conference we look for contributions that valorise and bring to the fore the multiplicity of marginal, residual, heterodox or unheard experiences, policies, concepts and practices that are already creating new worlds in innovative and socially just ways, and/or bear the potential of becoming building blocks of sustainable food planning for a resourceful, agroecological, urbanism.

We are also interested in critical contributions that reflect on how current mainstream approaches to food production, food strategies and urban agriculture can be/are being radically transformed into tools for resourcefulness.

Presentations can have a practical, theoretical, political or methodological focus.

We particularly look for critical contributions that address one or more of the following five sub-themes:

  1. theoretical re-conceptualisations of urbanism (and its peri-urban and rural surroundings) in relation to food planning (including discussions on the interlink between new and old urban and agrarian questions; critical discussions on planetary urbanisation, post-suburbia, insurgent urbanism; new ontological and epistemological definitions of urbanism; etc.)
  2. political processes and strategies (urban political agroecology; pathways for radicalising and/or steering local, national or global agri-food strategies; experiences of people’s led urban food policies and planning;  justice and rights-based legal challenges; urban-based food, water and land access movements; experiences linking agrarian and urban food sovereignty movements; community self-organisation; etc.)
  3. resourceful land management (including, for example, land reforms and land tax; common good land use; regulation or incentives that turns urban vacant spaces into food producing sites; regulation of private property rights in relation to land depletion and environmental degradation; innovative waste and nutrients management in urban areas; land and water rights; urban metabolism; innovative and radical ways to reshape urban-rural links);
  4. urban agroecological practices (including for example experiences that experiment with food producing and socio-environmentally just urban agriculture, urban agroforestry, urban permaculture, organic indoor production, rooftop and vertical growing, edible public space; foraging-enabling urban planning and design; urban water management; etc.);
  5. post-capitalist economics (including food de-commodification, solidarity and shared economy, micro-farming, urban patchwork farms, community kitchens, food commoning and conviviality, alternative currencies, new urban commons sharing food, housing, and livelihoods, etc.…),

We are open to receiving papers that draw either from the Global North or the Global South, but we also encourage contributions that reflect on the cross fertilisation and reciprocal learning among these geographical contexts.

[We are pleased to announce that we are successfully working to make this conference as much affordable as possible, with a number of free passes and an extremely discounted rate for unwaged, students and attendants from low-income countries. final fees will be announced in May]

To apply to the call, read the instructions here: https://aesopsfp.wordpress.com/call-for-papers/

Best wishes

Chiara

***************
Dr Chiara Tornaghi
Research Fellow in Urban Food Sovereignty and Resilience

Centre for Agroecology, Water and Resilience (CAWR)
Coventry University, Ryton Gardens, Wolston Lane, Ryton, CV8 3LG
T (mobile) +44 (0)7557 425 355;  T (landline) +44 024 7765 1683; Email: [log in to unmask]
Webpage: http://www.coventry.ac.uk/research/research-directories/researchers/dr-chiara-tornaghi/

Chair, AESOP "Sustainable Food Planning" thematic group
http://www.aesop-planning.eu/blogs/en_GB/sustainable-food-planning

New publication:
Tornaghi C. (2016),  "Urban Agriculture in the food-disabling city: (Re) defining urban food justice, reimagining a politics of empowerment" in Antipode
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/anti.12291/full