You may need to escape the ampersand character in the original URL or else the target URL will get broken up.
If that happens you probably get bounced to the default start page.
I’d also ditch the repetition of your server address.

Have you tried something like this:
https://www.bb.reading.ac.uk/webapps/login?action=relogin&new_loc=/webapps/login?action=relogin&new_loc=tab_tab_group_id=_346_1

HTH

Malcolm.

Dr Malcolm Murray  FRGS FHEA CMALT PG Cert

eLearning Manager - Computing and Information Services  |  Honorary Fellow - School of Education
Durham University  |  South Road  |  Durham  |  DH1 3LE |  UK  |  http://tinyurl.com/wrtlrng  |  @malcolmmurray<https://twitter.com/malcolmmurray>