(p.s. - I should have said - I am looking for a UK-based supplier/cheapest postage possible)

On 1 March 2017 at 22:52, lucy parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all (this is the first time I post to the list...eek!)

We have had a leak in our basement local history museum and archive store (which we manage on behalf of the council, and the council own the building in which the collection is housed), pooling to 0.5-1cm in places. Trying to diagnose the problem with assistance of maintenance, but I think rain-water related and relating to recent building work nearby.

However in the interim:

I have used up our absorbent materials in the process, leaving them down as a guard to any future leaks.

I am looking for the cheapest supplier of water absorbent archive materials (snakes, cushions) etc.
Are there any ok ones to use that one might find on Amazon as opposed to PEL/Conservation by design?

I have used up the ones I currently have including:

-  I want to order some more to have them on hand in case of future leaks, and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations of cheaper options, that are just as/nearly as good?

- Also, does anyone know, is it possible to dry out and re-use absorbent snakes (like the ones in the link above) after use or do they have to be discarded?

So far have documented with photographs, placed water absorption materials strategically, and brought in a 'wet vac' to deal with the worst of the pooled water, and had our maintenance guys appraise the situation as well as a man from the council - to try to address structural issues relating to leaks.

Any other advice greatly appreciated - I am relatively new to my current position and have not yet managed to fully appraise existing disaster plans - I have done the basics, and need to return to review again tomorrow.

Paper and artworks are off the floor but we do have some freestanding objects and furniture in the space - and I am trying to re-locate them to drier parts of the store where possible. We have plan chests in an area near where the leak is, and at present they do not seem to have been affected (but obv cannot actually see underneath at present). However may try to move material from bottom drawers just to be on the safe side. Will also be bringing some de-humidifiers in - and trying to fix the air conditioning (which I have been waiting for someone from the council to come fix...).

Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Lucy

--
L.C. Parker