SOAS World Music Summer School Coordinator

Part time for 6 months (9 hours p/week pre- and post-summer school; 2.5 days p/week during the summer school)
£744 p/month or a total of £4 644.00 (inclusive of London Allowance).

SOAS, University of London is the world’s leading institution for the study of Africa and Asia and their diasporas, offering programmes in arts, humanities, languages, law and social sciences. The SOAS Department of Music is the leading centre in Europe for the study of world music, located in the heart of a city famous for its thriving and diverse musical cultures.

For well over a decade now, the Music Department has offered an exciting Summer School of World Music. Our course programme is unique, varied and truly multi-cultural, featuring intensive and inspiring courses, practical workshops, taster sessions and master classes for students of all backgrounds, beginners to advanced, amateur and professional.

We are seeking a highly motivated individual who can co-ordinate and manage our 2017 Summer School programme. S/he will be tasked to

·        Liaise with academic members of the Music Department to determine the content of the summer school programme;
·        Liaise with Summer School teachers to design a maximum participation structure and a course description for each course;
·        Manage all pre-Summer School administration;
·        Liaise with the SOAS Marketing Department to develop and deliver an effective marketing plan;
·        Manage and monitor the budget;
·        Liaise with the SOAS web-master to further develop and maintain the Summer School website;
·        Maintain and develop a targeted mailing list and participant database;
·        Manage post-Summer School administration, including ensuring timely payments for course leaders / teachers, issuing and processing         a customer satisfaction survey and analysing survey results.

Skills and experience

Excellent administrative and organisational skills, and ability to work independently
Effective communication skills
Proficiency in electronic media
Ability to work in a team and to manage stressful situations
Understanding of the world music scene is highly desirable

If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please submit a letter of motivation describing your work experience and provide a copy of your CV to Angela Impey ([log in to unmask])

Closing date:  24 February 2017
Start Date:  1st March 2017 (or as soon thereafter as possible)

At SOAS we celebrate diversity and promote equality and inclusion amongst our staff and students. As such, we welcome applications from all, regardless of personal characteristics or background.

If you have any questions or require any assistance with regard to the application process, please contact Angela Impey ([log in to unmask])

Please note that it will not be possible for SOAS to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship for successful candidates as this role does not fall into one of the standard occupational codes deemed eligible for sponsorship by UK Visas and Immigration. Successful candidates will therefore need to be eligible to work in the UK or have limited leave to remain in the UK and associated right to work for the duration of their employment with SOAS, in accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.