Dear colleagues,

we are studying a large assemblage of horncores from a late medieval tannery from Gent (Belgium). The majority of the material consists of cattle horncores but there also is an important component of goat horncores. To roughly subdivide the cattle horncores in age groups, we use:

Armitage PL. 1982: A system for ageing and sexing the horncores from British post-medieval sites (17th to early 18th century) with special reference to unimproved British longhorn cattle. In: Wilson B., Grigson C. & Payne S. (eds), Ageing and Sexing Animal Bones from Archaeological Sites, BAR British Series 109, Oxford, 37-54.

Armitage PL. & Clutton-Brock J. 1976: A system for classification and description of horn cores of cattle from archaeological sites, Journal of Archaeological Science 3, 329–348.

We now wonder whether a similar system or other methods exist for ageing the goat horncores. We do have literature about sexing them but not about age discrimination. At first sight, the collection a.o. contains small horncores with a solid surface and large horncores with a porous surface (old females versus young males?). It certainly isn’t a homogeneous assemblage, making an age estimation ever so interesting. Of course, we also realise that castration could possibly complicate all interpretations. In any case: all help is fully appreciated!

yours sincerely,

An Lentacker & Anton Ervynck

Vlaamse overheid

Agentschap Onroerend Erfgoed

Team Archeologie – Afdeling Onderzoek & Bescherming

M 0477 56 01 95

Koning Albert II-laan 19 bus 5, 1210 Brussel

www.onroerenderfgoed.be

cid:image001.png@01D1D6B2.3505F280

Disclaimer: www.onroerenderfgoed.be/juridisch