To properly compare block and non-blocks, both event types need a non-zero duration. If the events have a 0-second duration, the events aren't scaled by the duration and can't be compared to the blocks with the regressors scaled.

For example, the estimated amplitude of a 0-second event is very different than a 0.000001-second event in SPM.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD