Dear Martin,

Yes, it's unfortunately broken and has been for a while now. I'm not
convinced of the usefulness of this option though: what do you use it
for and how? Wouldn't it be enough to create a file spm_my_defaults.m
with your modified options as described in the help of spm_defaults.m?

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--
Guillaume Flandin, PhD