I foreward this to the list for general interest, but also because Matthäus Merian was the (extremely fine) illustrator of the German translation of Sidney’s Arcadia, which was written by the great German poet Martin Opitz and has been reprinted in a beautiful facsimile edition: Philip von Sidney, Arcadia der Gräffin von Pembrock (Hildesheim/New York: Georg Olms, 1971). His daughter was a famous illustrator in her time and has remained so since; and anyone interested in 17C women’s work might fancy this.
Roger Kuin

Begin forwarded message:

From: "maureen e. Mulvihill" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fwd: Maria Sibylla Merian Conference (Amsterdam, June 2017).
Date: 25 Jan 2017 05:26:59 CET
To: [log in to unmask]

Of interest to historians of feminism, natural science, entomology, botanical illustration ~

New York Times (24 Jan. 2017), with portrait by Merian's second husband, Georg Gsell:

Amsterdam (conference host, June 2017):

Maria's father, Matthaus Merian, was a respected engraver and publisher; for an instance of his contribution to the popular vogue in 17th-century emblem books, see Image 11 < here >. My collection of rare & special books includes a deluxe facsimile of Maria's resplendent 'St Petersburg watercolours' (Munich, Berlin, London, NY: Prestel, 2003), tall folio, slipcase,175 pp,  lavishly illustrated (color plates), with Introduction, commentaries, and Merian family timeline. A treasure. As a point of interest, Maria separated from her (first) husband, painter & publisher Adreas Graff, in 1685, leaving Nuremberg with her mother and two daughters to join the pietistic Labadist community at Walta Castle, Friesland; thus, her connection to the great Dutch prodigy, Anna Maria Van Schurman, 'star of Utrecht' and a subject of renewed interest these days (our thanks to Anne R. Larsen). Maria Sibylla Merian departed the Labadists in 1691, moving to Amsterdam; dying, in her 70th year, 1717. An extraordinary individual, by any standard. And such courage!

MEM
____